Many roads will be closed, and traffic will be heavy in Wilmington and throughout the state as Delaware residents pay their last respects to Beau Biden. If you will be driving to any of the viewing locations or the funeral, allow lots of time and check for road closures. The following streets will be closed around St. Anthony of Padua.
Wilmington police say the following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic from 6 a.m. Friday through 2 p.m. Saturday:
• Du Pont Street from Pennsylvania Avenue to Howland Street.
• Lincoln Street from Eighth Street to Pennsylvania Avenue.
• 10th Street from Clayton Street to Union Street.
• Howland Street from Du Pont Street to Lincoln Street.
• Scott Street from Eighth Street to 11th Street.
In addition, parking is prohibited, beginning at 6 a.m. Friday and continuing through 2 p.m. Saturday, on the following streets:
• Union Street from Pennsylvania Avenue to Ninth Street.
• Lincoln Street from Pennsylvania Avenue to Ninth Street.
• Scott Street from Howland Street to 10th Street.
• Du Pont Street from Howland to Pennsylvania Avenue.
• Ninth Street from Union Street to Du Pont Street.
Additional temporary closures also will occur in the immediate area of the viewing and service. St. Anthony of Padua is located at 901 N. Du Pont St.
DART First State will provide an alternative for getting to and from the church: A complimentary shuttle service that will run both days from Salesianum School, 1801 N. Broom St. in Wilmington.
On Friday, buses will carry passengers to and from the church from 10:30 a.m. until about 8:30 p.m., according to Geoff Sundstrom, director of public relations for the Delaware Department of Transportation. On Saturday, bus service will run from 7:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. Parking will be available in the school parking lot; the buses can accommodate wheelchairs and other mobility devices.
Those riding the complimentary shuttle are encouraged to leave baggage in their personal vehicles, as there will be security checks entering the church, Sundstrom said. All attendees will go through airport-like security and should bring as few personal items as possible. No bags, backpacks, sharp objects, umbrellas, liquids or signs will be allowed in the venue.